Wednesday 7 August 2024

Belize - Day 8: "Secret" Beach & Kayaking

Last full day in Belize, so we figured we had to go check out the Secret Beach. Which truly, is probably the best known attraction on the island -- so clearly not much of a secret. 


Again, Matachica was kind enough to offer a free car shuttle over to the beach, which was amazing because the potholes truly were gigantic. 


Our driver said some people have even died in accidents with their golf carts (though excessive alcohol may have been involved in most of those instances).

After only 15 min or so (another pro of the shuttle: you go faster in a car than by golf cart!), we arrived at the beach. Somehow, our driver managed to cut off the sign in every shot. Gemini apparently can't help us recreate the last letter yet. 


Secret Beach, lest this last photo mislead you, is NOT actually miles and miles of white sand beaches and crystal waters. It is more like a ton of calm, shallow blue green water occupied by a string of bars and restaurants. Not exactly the "stroll along for sunset walks" type place. More the "sit at the tables in the water and listen to music while drinking a beer" type place.  


When in Rome...


But a few hours of that was enough for us. Plus, we had to get back to the resort to finally check out a couple kayaks for the Mexico Rocks reef. I was very worried about my kayaking abilities (the last time Ian and I went together, I tipped it while getting in), but the resort assured me the water depth was only about 4 feet, so I bravely ventured in.


Good thing I did, because it was actually really fun! The water was much more clear, the coral reef was much more colorful and the fish were much more varied. Our driver later explained this is probably what most of Hol Chan was like back in the day as well...before tourists overran it and the coral started getting damaged. I could see what he meant because of you weren't an experienced snorkeler, it would have been very easy to damage the reef environment given how shallow it was. Luckily, from all the scuba dives we've done, I'm very good at the, wait for a wave, hold your breath, float higher, get pushed over the coral safely routine. 


This being our final night, we decided to eat at the resort restaurant, which can't be beat for convenience and ambiance. Wrong side of the island for sunset, but still a nice rainbow sky.


The food was good, though I think I'd probably go back to the place down the beach given the choice, BUT, I realized they would let me order the double chocolate cookies from the snorkel trip! They remained as amazing as I remembered. 


And with that, last day in Belize was over! Tomorrow we fly home. 😢 

No comments:

Post a Comment