Tuesday 28 November 2023

Costa Rica Day 2 - Adventure Time!

 Thanks to the lack of internet and the 9PM bedtime, I woke up at 5AM raring to go. Ian....not so much. So, I decided to go off on the morning waterfall hike without him. It was mainly just a hike through the rainforest, but it did have a decent waterfall at the end. Our guide showed us how some of the stones were compacted natural chalk, which led me to some graffiti action...


He assured me it would wash off by tomorrow!

We saw an assortment of spiders and frogs again, but the animal highlight was....drumroll:


Yep, boa constrictor.  I tried to get the ubiquitous "pointing at the snake" tourist photo, the aim was a little off from my photographer, but ended up being a nice example of how the snake camouflages in with the branches!


After I came back from the hike, Ian was ready for some adventure, so off to the ziplines we went. 

I've done zipline-ing before, but not of this kind where you hike up the forest a half hour to the first platform and then keep hiking in between all of the lines. Makes you feel like you earn the zips. 


But the real highlights for me were the monkey drops. (Video proof that Ian enjoyed them too).


It started pouring rain towards the end, but we still finished with smiles!


In the afternoon, we went canyoning (or canyoneering), which we were told was even more adrenaline packed. The ropes portions were super fun, but the actual canyoneering parts left us with boots filled with water and me with a sore bum from a fall coming down the waterfall. I need more practice with my rappelling...



To close out the day, we had a very tasty dinner. Top marks to Pacuare Lodge's culinary and bar offerings throughout these two days -- I couldn't stop stealing sips of Ian's Don Juan cocktail. I kept digging in before I remembered to take a photo of their impressive platings, even this shot of our final dessert is one fried banana bite down. 😆


They even surprised me with a celebratory tres leches birthday cake. 


Tomorrow, sadly, we say goodbye to Pacuare. Maybe someday we will be back!

1 comment: