Wednesday 29 November 2023

Costa Rica Day 3 - Rafting!

Today is the second of our transfer days, this time moving from Pacuare, in the jungle, to the Arenal volcano area. While it was sad for us to say goodbye to the Lodge, like the transfer in, transfer out is also by white water rafting, and this time, Class III and IV rapids!

The weather for this raft trip was MUCH more cooperative (good thing, because the trip was not only more challenging but also much longer). 


 Ian demonstrating how NOT to paddle.


We were told that the Pacuare River was ranked fourth most beautiful white-water river in the world by National Geographic (#1 is Grand Canyon). It was indeed quite picturesque.


It was a nice mix of rough rapids and calmer stretches to enjoy the scenary (we actually had some parts where the guide called an "get down" and we actually sat in the raft and then paddled from there, never done that one before!) 

After about 2 hours, we stopped for lunch on a small beach. Apparently the 3.5 hours included an hour or so lunch. Good thing, because I had blisters on my hands by then and was thinking I didn't think I'd make it through another hour. Have more respect for those who do the multi-day Class III/IV rafting tours! Maybe on a Class I or II, but for the harder ones I think 2.5 hours might be my max!

After we arrived, Boena had showers, towels, and all of our luggage waiting for us. They were definitely pricey but I highly recommend Boena Wilderness Lodges from a service/experience perspective! If/when we come back to Costa Rica, I look forward to trying out one of their other lodges around the country. 

Our private car was waiting for us to begin the 3 hour drive out to La Fortuna, for the next part of our vacation. Pretty uneventful drive (I watched some downloaded videos to drown out the snoring). Awaiting us at Royal Corin, welcome cocktail, cool towels and...


Yes, R - you would appreciate the service level at this hotel. 

Not really sure what it's supposed to be though...monkey? Bunny? Dog?

After the long rafting trip, we immediately headed to the thermal mineral springs on the property. There were at least 7 different pools that we tried and I decided that my ideal temperature is 98-100°.

Sadly, we never took any photos at the pools. But they were quite relaxing! I particularly liked the water beds where you got to lay down submerged in the water. 

Tomorrow -- hanging bridges and hopefully a sloth sighting!


1 comment:

  1. Pro tip for rafting…biking gloves to prevent blister. They were key in the Grand Canyon

    ReplyDelete